Living In Malta: Top 10 Stats & Surpising Facts
If you're exploring careers in Malta, you'll want to know all you can about life on the island. To help you out, we've put together 10 facts about life here in Malta - some of which might surprise you...
1) Malta was voted the 2nd best place in the world to live and work as an expat. We're pretty sure the island's 300+ days of sun is a crucial factor.
4) An architectural melting pot of Mediterranian wonders, Malta is home to Greek Byzantine structures, Baroque cathedrals and ancient temples that out-date even Egypt's pyramids.
5) Malta's one of the few places in the world you'll encounter fireworks... in the daytime. Known locally as petards, they make a loud bang with a puff of smoke. It's just one of numerous traditions locals enjoy during their summer festivals here.
6) Valetta will be European Capital of Culture 2018. An impressive cultrual programme will feature visual arts, film, literature and live music, along with high profile community engagement projects.
9) In Summer 2016, Malta introduced specially-trained tourism police, supporting tourists and locals in the St Julian's area. Crime rates in Malta are some of the lowest in Europe.
10) From Maltese to Cantonese, Enlish to Afrikaans, you'll find a huge range of languages spoken in Malta. Although Maltese and English are official languages, immigration, tourism and student communities have all contributed to Malta's extremely broad cultural horizons.